Monday, August 25, 2008

Hey people!!!!

It's been one of those weeks. You know the kind: those weeks when both your house air conditioning AND your car air conditioning break on the same day. And then, even though you tell your husband, "Don't let the HVAC guy bamboozle you into some maintenance contract (cause you wouldn't dream of paying to prevent problems, you'd rather just cough up 5 times more after things break), you get home and your husband tells you he had to sign the maintenance contract because blah blah blah de blah blah.

And the Olympics are over, and your DVR keeps stopping recordings just before the actual end of programs, so you don't get to see one gold medal handed out or find out what happens "Next week on The Hills." And you discover that your work pants from Spring semester are, um, snug (to put it mildly). And the fun fabric shopping trip you have planned with one of your closest friends whom you haven't spent time with in way too long gets canceled cause the damn shop is closed on Mondays.

That kind of week.

But. In the midst of all my whining this week, I did find a few moments of unexpected joy. Turns out that riding around town with the windows down, something I haven't done in a really long time, has a kind of euphoric effect on passengers. Apart from the blistering, smothering heat at stoplights, rolling along with the wind in our hair this week has been kind of fun.

I think it's because driving with the windows down makes you turn the music up, which causes you to sing along more loudly than you otherwise might, which, it seems, releases endorphins, even in toddlers. There's been much giggling and smiling in the car of late, a good bit of waving out the window, and lots and lots of singing. I'd even be as melodramatic as to say that driving with the windows down makes me feel more connected to the world.

Apparently it makes Mitch feel that way too.

Why else would he release himself from his booster seat, lean across the front seat to stick his head out the window, and holler, "Hey people!!!!!"

See? Not all bad is bad. Sometimes bad can be good.

But air conditioning is better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Car A/C rocks! Home A/C rocks even harder, 'cause who can sleep in a humid oven? I was A/C-less in my (old) car for 2 years, in Florida, starting in about the 7th month of pregnancy. And, yes, I did a lot of singing loudly and blaring the radio (occasionally), mostly getting acclimated. But, lord, was I glad to get a new car with a frosty A/C. Aaaaah!

Anonymous said...

ahh - the wonders of not having A/C - could you believe I drove around without a/C in my car for 2 years? and this is living in Florida!!!! Now there are even moments when I just turn off the A/C and lower the windows - my excuse to hubby - to save gas - but the real reason, because I love to hear the radio loud and the wind blowing against my skin!!

the mama bird diaries said...

cute post. i love having the windows down. so does my oldest daughter. my husband loves air conditioning.

Anonymous said...

oohhh...I hate it when the DVR cuts off before I get to find out whats going to happen next week on a show...I mean, really. How am I supposed to wait all the way till then?!?

And with you on the loud, windows down, windy day singing! My 4yo and 3yo get so into it too!!

Mama Duck said...

I wanted to tell you that after reading your posts for the past few months, you have inspired me. I have finally started my own blog. I'm sure that my posts will never be as entertaining as yours, but I think that it will help my mental state to put it all down on virtual paper. Your children are adoreable. Just thought I'd stop being an anonymous reader and become an active blogger! Thanks Mean Mommy!

Gray Matter Matters said...

Nothing clever to say, this was just perfect.

We have HVAC...a tip--CHECK THE FILTER (oh, and pan) talk about having to pay 5 times as much after it breaks...yikes.