Friday, August 15, 2008

I won't grow up

Here's a secret about me (not a secret if you know me in real life): I have a tendency to get more carried away by my children's games, toys, and crafts than they do. It's not uncommon for John to find me in the playroom coloring long after my kids have moved on to the next activity ('cause it's just wrong to leave a coloring book with a half-colored picture).

I have also been known to overtake the decoration of doll houses, the dressing of baby dolls, and the construction of block cities. And God forbid a child try to collaborate on MY paintings. Also, please don't forget to wash your brushes between colors because I hate when the paints get muddy.

So lately, I've been sewing doll clothes for Paige's dolls, nevermind that she'd be just as happy, if not happier, playing with naked babies. And, true to form, I've gotten just a wee bit obsessed with the task, often to the neglect of my actual parenting duties, like playing with the children and, er, feeding them.

But there are 4 "major" (i.e. well-played-with) dolls in the household and only one pair of doll pajamas. And only one party dress! How is one to have a proper dolly tea party if only one doll has appropriate attire? To remedy this situation, I've been working hard to expand the doll wardrobe with some vintage sewing patterns I bought on Etsy and Ebay (because who needs groceries?).

So even if my children are running around naked because I can't be bothered to dress them, by gum their dolls will be dandy.

See?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So freakin' cute! Make a life-size version of the blue-skirted dress for me! I'm so glad you're a bad mother and make these great clothes instead.
amp

Suburban Correspondent said...

What fun! I remember getting into this once. I felt like I had released my inner child. I could not stop making cute little clothes.

Suburban Correspondent said...

In fact, um, where did you get those patterns, exactly?

Ashley said...

Some from Ebay and some really great ones from the Esty shop "Patterns and Crafts": http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5320384

bcre8uv said...

Absolutely precious! I especially love the fabrics on that last one.

Angela DeRossett said...

I love this...beautiful! Imust wait until winter break...I must wait until winter break....LOL

the mama bird diaries said...

Wow. Those are sooo cute.

What is it with kids that they always want those dolls naked? My kids strip them down too!

Heart Felt said...

To cute! Don't hate me, but I have nominated you for a MeMe. Visit my blog for the low down! xx

kT said...

my husband insists i am you and this is really my blog. has anyone seen a blog called "daddy yells?" 'cuz that's him.

MadMad said...

Oh, these are awesome! You're great!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Goregous. Those dolls will need security to keep the other trolling, hating dolls off them!