Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Why I grew 20 more gray hairs today

Well, we're all sick. Again. Now it's some nameless virus that isn't the flu but feels only one degree less horrible than the flu. It's Owen and me this time. Sore, sore throat, stuffiness, fever of the body and fever of the...cabin.

We have not done one fun thing all winter, I swear. Not one. The closest we've come to fun was driving by the mall one day. We waved at the play area in the mall, waved at the train table in the bookstore, waved at storytime. "Hello, fun things!" we called. "See you in April." (Maybe I'm exaggerating a wee bit but it surely does not FEEL like it.)

The illness gave me 10 gray hairs. The other 10 came from the IT department at the venerable institution where I work. Remember when I mentioned the inventory program that they wanted to run on my laptop? Well that must have been some powerful program, cause it crashed my hard drive. And oh, by the way, we lost all your data oops.

Let's do a run down of the data I lost:

2 semesters worth of handouts, lectures, essay assignments, and exams? Check.
All family pictures taken since last summer? Check.
Every single one of my bookmarks? Check.
Current emails and e-address book? Check.
All the patterns, tutorials, and craft ideas I've collected for 6 months? Check.
The nearly finished, put hours of time into it digital scrapbook I'd been working on for Paige? Check.

I'm usually pretty good about backing up data, and I do have a backup for my less recent teaching materials, but I haven't backed up in awhile (obviously), and I've been really lazy about backing up my personal stuff.

At least I still have my health.

Oh....wait. No I don't.
asdfasdfasdf

4 comments:

Christine said...

I'm so sorry you're sick! And about all the data and pics - devastating! I'm very sorry!

MadMad said...

ARAAGH! The flu thing (and believe you me, I know all about it. It's a miracle I haven't killed any of the whiny bickering monsters who got it here and tortured me all week before finally leaving for school Monday - and leaving the cold behind with me) alone would have been horrible, but the computer thing... YOUR PICTURES?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!

Anonymous said...

Don't do anything drastic to the laptop...sometimes you can possibly retrieve what you lost.
I don't know how far gone you are, but you could try this....as long as your laptop isn't buried yet:
If you're running Windows, try to start up in Safe Mode. Reboot your PC, and hit the F8 key when the computer is starting up. Choose the option to go into Safe Mode. If you can get to the Windows' login-screen, you are probably having a software problem, not hard drive failure. You can do a re-install of Windows to get to your files or you can use Windows' System Restore feature to get your PC up and running again.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear you've been sick! It's been a tough winter at our place too.
And I can totally sympathize with your hard drive crashing. Ours crashed a year ago and we lost atleast 1,000 pictures. The birth, babyhood, and some toddlerhood of our 2nd child was gone. I am getting sick just thinking about it. I better go!