Sunday, March 30, 2008

Parenting math

Inspired by Owen's incessant math-related questions ("Mommy, what's 21,432,394 plus 78? What's 4,934,987 plus 436,346? What's 234 plus 43?) I've decided to work out my own equation based on recent household events:

Number of time Paige pooped yesterday (4)

PLUS The number of years I have left to enjoy comments like the following from Mitch: "Thank you so much for washing my socks, Mommy. You are sooo pretty" (2)

MINUS The number of months my new laptop cord lasted before it got wrecked by children tripping over it (2)

PLUS The number of nights a week I feel like cooking dinner (0)

PLUS The time Owen woke me up this morning (7)

MINUS The amount of money I spend at Target every month (200)

PLUS The number of romantic dates John and I have been on in the past 3 months (0)

PLUS The number of months I have left before Paige can talk, thereby adding to the never ending chatter and driving me utterly around the bend (6)

PLUS The amount of the PowerBall jackpot that John is convinced we will win thereby relieving all of our financial hardships (46 million)

MINUS The number of times this weekend that Bailey has thought she knew better than her loving parents (15)

EQUALS On a scale of one to ten, the number representative of how badly I need a vacation (45,999,802)

7 comments:

Bohemiandoc said...

I feel your pain! Courage, sister, courage.

I put your blog on my list of "Mean Mommies around the Web." Hope more Mean Mommies take comfort from knowing they're not alone.

MeanMommyDoc

Victoria said...

LOVE your math! Clearly you are a genius.

Christine said...

I had to laugh at Mitch's math questions. My six-year-old is obsessed with the infinity concept. He doesn't quite believe that we can count the rest of our lives and never get to the end.

MadMad said...

You have the best blog ideas! So funny! I'm just an English major...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aliki2006 said...

Loved this, too! I remember all those math questions as well...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.